Originally published atmedium.com
Introducing Growbox app to tell yourself you’re awesome, repeatedly.
What are positive affirmations?
- Short sentences
- Excludes negative statements such as no, not, don’t etc.
- Always in the present tense
- Directed towards self.
How does this help?
- Repeating affirmations change how we think.
- It impacts our actions as they’re manifested by our thoughts
- Positive affirmations are to mind what exercise is to body
Here’s an example
Let’s take a practical phrase we come across every now and then — “don’t worry”
We often end up telling ourselves not to worry about things.
This may seem like it’s helpful but subconsciously it’s not. These are negative phrases & only increase one’s negative emotions.
How? Let’s see —
First, when you tell yourself “don’t worry” you are giving two different commands to your mind. The first input is don’t and the second is worry.
You can process the two words together and understand their meaning, but your brain hears the word “worry” and begins to activate the neural connections for that command.
In the end, you’re telling yourself to worry over and over again.
In this case, the ideal phrase would be — “I’m calm’.
Some examples for Positive Affirmations:
- I am enthusiastic and excited about my work.
- My workplace is peaceful and full of love.
- I make decisions easily.
- I am rewarded for doing my best.
Growbox app enables you to repeat these set of categorised positive affirmations that come bundled inside the app.
Growbox App Features
- Affirmation Themes: The affirmations are categorised under themes such as Motivation, Productivity, Gratitude, Potential, Success to name some.
- Reminder Notifications: Opt in to receive notifications to daily reminders and not miss out on reading affirmations, daily.
- Favourites: Double tap an affirmation to add it under favourites. You’ll have the liberty to read your favourite affirmations.
Backed by tonne of research
From health problems to good grades in college. Affirmations have been proven to help improve any area desired. Here are some studies to back them.
- They have been linked positively to academic achievement by mitigating GPA decline in students who feel left out at college (Layous et al., 2017);
- Self-Affirmation Activates Brain Systems Associated with Self-Related Processing and Reward and is Reinforced by Future Orientation. Social cognitive and affective neuroscience. (Cascio et al., 2015);
- They can make us less likely to dismiss harmful health messages, responding instead with the intention to change for the better (Harris et al., 2007) and to eat more fruit and vegetables (Epton & Harris, 2008);
- Self-affirmations have been shown to decrease health-deteriorating (Sherman et al., 2009; Critcher & Dunning, 2015);
- Self-affirmation has been demonstrated to lower stress and rumination (Koole et al., 1999; Weisenfeld et al., 2001);
It is evident that positive affirmations are practical and helpful in daily lives. I believe it’s important to condition the mind positively, not only shield one’s self from uncontrolled negative surroundings but to be that constant source of positivity.
Download Growbox — https://growboxapp.io
We will always listen to your feedback and open prioritise them. Based on feedback from beta users, here are some features we have lined up.
- Multiple language support: Read affirmations in your preferred language.
- Write down your own affirmations: Write affirmations according to your personal goals. Example theme: “Buy a car”. The affirmation you write will only be created once it meets the guidelines to write positive affirmations.
- Share, Star and find affirmations written by others: You can chose to make your affirmations public or keep them private. Once it’s public, it can be searched and viewed by others on Growbox.